Friday, September 21, 2012

what i learned in school today



today my studies included a long walk
i measured out approx. 5.3 miles
and i learned a few things along the way

after the initial inspiration
i loaded up my backpack with weight
i threw in some barbells
and some ankle weights
and some cast iron woodplanes
and my sleeping bag
i thought you know what i'm not going to weigh this
i'm just going to hit the road
so i lofted the thing on my back and immediately knew
a little surprise
i immediately knew that after 5 miles i would be tired
with this much weight
i wondered how much weight i was carrying
i thought: it feels like 50 maybe 60 lbs

well i walked about a mile to the interstate bridge
and i took the pack off and i felt almost like i was about to fly
my legs felt light and wobbly and i thought
geez
this pack is really heavy
so i had a little over a mile to go before i turned around
i hoofed it
the last part of the mile was all uphill and i hoofed it
my new KEEN boots felt great
the only concern i had was the knowledge that my feet aren't used
to being cooped up in boots
so my big toes particularly was aching a bit from rubbing against the
upper part of the shoe below the tongue
i realized my toenails were a little long
but i also felt i could go on and not have a problem

at the end of the second mile i lifted the pack off again
and again i had the sensation that i maybe could fly
i thought...man i hope i don't have to consider carrying a pack this heavy...
i took off my boots and my feet rejoiced
not that they were uncomfortable but
they were feeling the effects of new shoes new solid insoles
and considerable weight on the high end
my shoulders were sort of sore
and my hips and thighs were complaining ever so slightly but
noticeably just the same
so i set out to return and after one mile i stopped again
i took my pack off i took my shoes off
and i stretched and walked a bit
i had eaten an appple and an orange
so i felt strong and i knew i had enough energy
but my legs were starting to ache a bit

gee i wonder how much this thing weighs
i thought and thought

i thought
when i get home i will weigh myself right away
and then get a reading without the pack on

i was walking into the monastery when the bells for mass began to ring
but i rushed up to the communal shower room and stood on the scale
277 pounds it said
so i released myself from the pack
and i weighed in at 231
that's with boots and clothing

so a 46 lb pack
i said to myself
no way am i going to haul 46 pounds
my goal is to carry half that

as i neared the monastery i asked myself
could i walk further
and actually i felt a second wind coming on
and i thought you know
i could walk another 2 or 3 miles
but that would be about it

with half the weight i could've walked another 5 or 6 miles easily

so what did i learn

 i learned that it has been a long time since i've carried weight on my shoulders
and my lower back and innerthighs are making that known right now as i type

i learned that pacing and stopping and stretching help a lot

i learned that by cinching up my bootlaces i can add some strength to my feet
it's better than having them loose as i did when i began

i learned i do not want to carry 45 lbs
and thus it behooves me to strategize for lightness

i learned that certain areas of my feet might become susceptible to blisters
and that i could in fact know that as i walk and i could address this immediately
with tape

i also got a sense that with a few days effort even 45 lbs would become mangaeable
i felt that i would get stronger by the day if my feet would hold out

tomorrow i want to do a strengthening session with my full 45 lbs pack
i'm going to keep it heavy for a few days
hoping that when i finally pack for this pilgrimage
i will be delighted in the lightness of my burden

i also had a profound sense that the pilgrimage has already begun

reporting from central lake woeBgone










4 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like quite
    a training regimen
    don't over do it

    i don't think you'll have to carry
    anything near 46 pounds

    on the pilgrim forum
    and in my pilgrim guidebook
    they recommend carrying
    no more than 10% of your body weight

    i'm not sure if that is supposed
    to include food and water or not

    i will be exceeding that
    because of my breatholyzer
    but not by too much
    i think my pack will be
    around 25 pounds
    and certainly no more than 30 pounds

    when i did wilderness backpacking
    carrying tent and cooking gear
    and food for 3 days
    i was up to 39 pounds
    and that really did make
    my shoulders hurt by the end of the day

    tightening the waist belt
    and loosening the shoulder straps
    takes the weight off the shoulders
    and puts it onto the hips
    i learned at REI that we should aim
    to have 80% of the load on our hips
    and 20% on our shoulders

    happy training

    john and i will be hiking today too

    ReplyDelete
  2. before the day is finished i will
    walk with my pack on
    to the weight i expect to carry

    i'm starting to move

    here we go

    let loose the brakes

    no stoppin us

    pray for the pilots

    !

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did it go
    with the full pack?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i packed then unpacked yesterday
    still fighting some fundamental cognitive dissonance
    about what i am to bring
    i mean after yesterday's gospel this backpack looks pretty silly
    but then jesus may not have considered compostela

    something tells me i could go ultra minimalist and i'd be OK
    i may be shedding as i go

    anyway

    adelante baby

    !

    ReplyDelete