Tuesday, September 4, 2012

bed bugs

Yikes!

One more thing to worry about on the camino...

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

and one more thing to add to my pack-- insect repellant

At the moment I am paranoid about bringing bed bugs home with me.  I don't think I can put my internal-frame pack in a washing machine or dryer, as recommended at the website.

And what do you do if you find bed bugs at the only albergue in town?  Sleep outside?

Another pilgrim mentioned something about XXL ziplock bags that you could put your whole pack inside at night.

Now I'm hoping for really cold weather so that this might not be a problem.

OK, I just came across this on the pilgrim website:
"If the backpack cannot be washed it needs to be sprayed with bed bug killer or taken to professional cleaner."

 And here was another reassuring comment:
"Discussions of bed bugs always brings out fear and disgust by those about to start their first Camino. It really is not a big threat. You probably will "hear" about "someone" along the way but never experience anything yourself.
The time of year is one of the main factors.
Don't let the fear of the critters spoil your enjoyment of preparing for your Camino. Take simple precautions "just in case" but don't worry. "

No comments:

Post a Comment