Wednesday, September 12, 2012

blisters and pain

it would seem more than logical that
the primary concern in terms of comfort
and strength for a long journey
would quite naturally be the feet
especially if one is walking

the feet

in order to test the boots i have
i took them along with me to montana
on two occasions i was given to longish hikes
5 - 6 miles up and down small mountains

the boots i had worked great for this
they were strong in the ankle and have good soles
my feet did not suffer a bit

but yesterday i walked 8 miles with very little by way of rest
and my feet took a beating
at one point i was forced to take my boots off and walk in my socks
on the flat asphalt road
blisters of serious magnitude had accrued on heel(s)  and toe(s)

it became apparent that i had to do some strategizing

so with blisters and pain i determined to get some
lightweight hiking shoes with ankle support
and i did not hesitate
i took me to the local SHEELS and set about shopping
and trying things on
i arrived at a shoe/boot made by KEEN
a very lightweight boot
i judged a full 1/3  the weight of my CHACOS
the sole is very strong and the insole was removable
and i allowed the salesman to convince me that
some special hightech insoles would serve me well
he seemed so pleased with his sales acumen
i bought them
and i am pleased

this one act of necessary conspicuous consumption
will free me to consider other less pressing worries
like bedbugs
i know these boots are made for walkin

the weather i cannot control
the status of lodging is beyond my influence
but my shoes my feet
this is something i can do something about

and i have

did someone say something about a walk

jh

3 comments:

  1. glad to hear you have some good footwear

    don't forget about socks
    it could be a good investment
    to splurge on some new socks

    i like to wear a thin liner sock
    inside a SmartWool sock

    and i carry moleskin
    and try to discipline myself
    to put that on at the very first sign of discomfort

    i have also heard smearing vaseline
    on the feet each morning

    or of putting duct tape
    on the places where blisters
    are likely to form

    ReplyDelete
  2. i walked with my old friend reggie
    reggie has a lot to say about a lot of things

    he kept telling me i should've brought some tape

    then he said

    john the boots won't work
    we have to go shopping

    then he took charge of the shopping
    he asked all the questions
    he insisted that i walk walk walk around the store
    he was like my own living consumer report

    i'm more conviced than ever about foot care on the camino

    i just hope i'm making some good decisions

    my feet are still too blistered to walk in the new shoes
    but i'm gearing up
    maybe this weekend

    life is a bit of a swirl these days

    i don't know where it's all going

    ah well

    sometimes it's about riding out the storm

    eh rocinante
    we've seen worse ole pal

    some wine some sleep some dreaming
    what else is there

    ah

    tomorrow

    jh

    ReplyDelete
  3. let's hear it for reggie
    it sounds like you are in good hands

    don't push yourself too hard
    let those blisters heal

    i also read that walking more slowly
    taking one's time instead of being in a hurry
    helps to prevent blisters

    sometimes i also stop and change socks a mid-day
    putting on a pair of clean, dry socks
    can feel like a real luxury on the trail

    ReplyDelete