Tuesday, September 2, 2014

i also found this beautiful poem

Also from 
http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=17431

Subject: Lyr Add: JE VIS AVEC VOUS, MA PROMISE (Louis Riel)
From: Q
Date: 24 Nov 09 - 03:54 PM

Lyr. Add: I Live With You, My Betrothed
Louis Riel, 1881, translation Paul Savoie

1
I live with you, my betrothed
Though Mother Church's holy blessing
Has not yet been bestowed
On us. Still, you wear my gold ring.
2
I wedded you. O my lover
In the year of eighty-one,
Close by the cockle-shell river.
Under common law, we were one.
3
If the circuit priest's intention
Is to honor our petition,
We will fly to Fort Benton
To gain our sin's remission.
4
Our hearts require ths blessing
To embolden our bond ...

5
For fifteen years, a lone man
God Almighty I petitioned
To grant me a good woman
Well-born, well intentioned.
6
*Father Primeau assured me
My prayers would be answered.
My loving Master surely
Would grant me what I desired.
7
Yes, His promise has held true.
I have found my heart's pride,
A woman who dispells all rue;
The woman biding by my side.
8
Because no priest was present,
My love, we were forced
To wed this way.
My love, there will be no shame.

(Original French will be posted later)

The formal vows were taken the following year, the ceremony blessed by Father Joseph Damiani.
*Primeau, John Baptiste, was Riel's confessor in Massachusetts.

The poem shows the deep religious feelings of Riel; few of his poems do not.
The poem also shows how Riel wrote his poems; they were dashed off as the thoughts came to him and only rarely corrected or revised. This has led some historians to call his poems doggerel, but they express his feelings and are necessary to the understanding of the man.
"Selected Poetry of Louis Riel," translated by Paul Savoie and edited by Glen Campbell, 1993, Exile Editions.

"The Collected Writings of Louis Riel/Les Ecrits complets de Louis Riel," Ed. in Chief George F. G. Stanley, 1985, University of Alberta Press, occupy five volumes; his poetry, over 500 pages, takes up volume 4 (ed. by Glen Campbell).

4 comments:

  1. thanks for not letting this blog drift into utter oblivion sally

    and thanks for your effort to make riel part of the community

    which i guess he is no matter what

    these are both great contributions to this cause

    monsieur riel....anything to say?




    :)



    ReplyDelete
  2. my initial inspiration
    sprung from concerns
    about the copyright status
    of the ballad of louis riel

    the lyrics you sing
    appear to postdate 1922
    but they were so hard to find on the internet
    that i have to agree they would have been below the ASCAP or BMI radar

    turns out we didn't even get to that song
    and ended up doing several higher profile songs

    all my anxiety seems kind of silly now

    but i suppose it did bring to the discovery
    of these beautiful older poems

    * :- ) *

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's interesting to note that the last 4 yrs of Riel's life were his most poignant as far as poems go and his hopes for his people

    his love for his wife seems to be something he recognized as beyond his wildest dreams

    a few previous love possibilities seem to have faltered because they weren't somehow tied into his great passion of recognition for the metis

    it turns out his wife and daughter both died of broken hearts shortly after he was killed and his one son was killed in a freak accident with a red river cart...thus there are no direct descendants

    I can't believe we didn't sing about Louis Riel


    maybe next time


    it seems to me the ballade is more a "sit and listen" sort of song than a party song....but one could certainly make it a party song too

    a belated thanks for your efforts at organizing the music for the new prague gig into something like a performance....


    ...the matter of knowing the audience and fashioning music to satisfy is always a bit of a conundrum



    maybe we should find a way to inject some life into this blog



    maybe blogs are already obsolete


    what does that make me


    ah well


    at least there's you



    :)



    jh




    ReplyDelete
  4. just stumbled upon this comment now

    good to read your words

    ReplyDelete